Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cover Art Imitates Life

Over at The Novel Girls this week, it's my turn to give something away for our month-long blogoversary celebration, and I'll be giving away an ARC of THE LIFE OF GLASS! It's really easy to enter -- all you have to do is comment on a post over there this week and/or do any of the other things listed on our sidebar. Plus, if you enter, you'll also be put into a drawing to win $100 to Amazon at the end of the month. Click here to head on over to The Novel Girls and enter.

And since I'm talking about THE LIFE OF GLASS (which I seem to be doing a lot lately. . .), I wanted to share something with you about the cover. First let me say that I absolutely LOVE the cover -- I think the design team at HarperCollins did a fabulous job. But the first time I saw it, I was struck by this strange sense of it being familiar. It took me a few days, but then I figured out what it was. The girl's profile on the cover, looks almost exactly like my mom did when she was younger. I remembered seeing some similar looking pictures of her in an old photo album, and I finally got her to scan some in and send them to me. So here, you can see for yourself.

Here's THE LIFE OF GLASS cover (Look closely at the girl's profile shot):


This is my mom in the late 1970s (And that baby in the picture is me!):


And here are two pictures of her a bit earlier, circa 1973:



What do you think? Can you see the resemblence? To me it kind of seems like this cover was meant to be!

2 comments:

Sara said...

It does look a lot like the first picture - the slant of the head and everything...

Wow - your mom was really pretty! I don't know if it was the clothes or hair, but she even reminds me of my mum a little! :)

Jillian Cantor said...

Thanks, Sara! I agree -- I think my mom looks gorgeous, though I don't know how excited she was for me to put them up here!