Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Music and Writing

As I've been doing interviews in the past few months for The September Sisters, one question I've been getting a lot is about music, more specifically, what kind of music I listen to while I write. And I've been giving the rather boring answer of none, because I like quiet while I write. Music only distracts me.

But I've been revising my adult book like a crazy women for the past few weeks, and it occurred to me recently that although I don't listen to music while I write, I sometimes do have particular songs in my head while I'm writing. Right now, it's "My Life Would Suck Without You" by Kelly Clarkson -- totally the theme song for the book I'm revising. Which is funny, because it doesn't even necessarily encapsulate what the book is about overall, but the part I've been working on is the relationship between the main character and her husband, and I keep picturing her singing this to herself as I'm working on her dialogue. Weird, huh? Oh, and right now I'm taking a little revising break, but I still can't get the song out of my head.

And speaking of music and American Idols, did anyone else want to cry for poor Alexis at the end of the AI elimination tonight? She so did not deserve to go home yet. Right????

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love Kelly!

I did want to cry for Alexis last night! I was hoping they would 'save' her but I knew why they didn't. Its just to early in the competition. But still, she did not deserve to go!

Jillian Cantor said...

Kelsey, totally agree! And she was one of my early favorites, too!!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Everytime I hear that song, I sing her other song, "Since you've been gone..." because it sounds just like it, right?

Laina said...

Oh, totally she shouldn't have gone home! She rocked!!!

Jillian Cantor said...

Yeah, Maureen, you're right it does. Only that one really has nothing to do with my book :-)

Laina, I know -- it's so sad!